Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Catching Up! Week 5


Okay so I'm going to begin by making what may seem to be an off-the-wall personal connection but it must be made for my own sake because, for me, the timing couldn't be more perfect.
I have a confession to make...I am in love with someone other than my betrothed... she may be a horse named Coquette, but I am madly in love with her and would give up anything, including Quintin and my baby Benjamin (also a horse lol), to have her be mine. We met once, but I have had eyes only for her ever since and I can't help but think of the happiness we could have together. Quintin and Ben are safe, good men, they really are but I love the mystery she possesses and I am overcome with desire for her.


How'd I do? A little over the top? Well, it was worth a try... (I do love her though, she is damn good-lookin')

Back on track now...The Coquette is totally classic (which is probably why it remained in print for more than 100 years straight after its publishing). It is the tale that women love to read and sentimentalize with. Some women, actually I would go as far as to say many women, have lived through these same tribulations and have been pestered with the question of fiery, wild and unpredictable or safe and a little bland?

In class we made connections to the movie "The Patriot," which gave us a really good insight into what the mindset of the period was like. Americans were no longer dealing with questions of faith but now, rather, those of freedom. Thomas Hutchinson said, "A thirst for liberty characterizes this people" and I think that can be easily seen in The Coquette.

This is one of the first narratives that was released having to do with a woman making her own decisions and offered a really fresh portrayal of the contrast between social conformity and individualism. At this time Americans were just beginning to get a taste of what individualism was and therefore this novel speaks incredibly well to the idealism of the country as a whole.

Eliza's decision was simple in nature: passion vs. reason. However, it is a tragic question in the sense that many in the past have fallen victim to making the wrong decision. But I must take a moment and ask...are both decisions doomed? Both Boyer and Sanford are deliberately flat characters. Although, there is nothing radical or revolutionary in choosing Boyer there really isn't anything incredibly beneficial about the decision to choose Sanford either, he is deficient of virtue, corrupt, predatory, fiercely (if not brutally) self-interested, and he capitalizes on the ways that he is associated with the taboo (all characteristics that we discussed in class). If she were to choose Boyer we, I think, would be right to presume that she would be bored and disinterested with her life and be constantly tempted to stray from her marriage. However, with a choice of Sanford we can also presume that Eliza would long for a stable life built on commitment rather than passion. The right answer would be to find a happy medium...but does that really exist?

Kailey, the optimist, who is currently is in a healthy relationship, would say yes. However, the skies aren't always quite so blue. When we descend from a dreamworld and come back to reality it is apparent that "happy mediums" don't come easily, but are rather slowly accomplished based on the compromises of each party. But, alas, we must re-center ourselves and keep in mind the time period in question. This was a time of revolution! Therefore, of course Eliza had to make the daring decision...otherwise this novel wouldn't have fit very well into the historical slot that we needed it to fill. So, what did she do? Choose Sanford. Who had already moved on to another woman. Sad. But then what should her next move be? Settle for second best of course. But, guess what, Boyer had already beaten her to that idea. In the end she is alone.

It's a good thing that our daring, passionate country didn't end up with the same fate when it decided to make a bold move.

Sadly, this seduction narrative becomes an iconic representation of the fallen woman. However, it leaves us with a classic tragedy, riddled with the passion of the time period, that can serve as a lesson to be learned for many women out there. Though I do think that Tough Love with Steve Ward on Vh1 is near equally as entertaining and enlightening.

In the end, I think I will take the advice with me that when in doubt make a bold move but don't be disappointed if you end up in a beige world either--it's better than a pit of despair.

Faves:
"The heart of your friend is again besieged. Whether it will surrender to its assailants or not, I am unable at present to determine. Sometimes I think of becoming a predestinarian, and submitting implicitly to fate, without any exercise of free will; but as mine seems to be a wayward one, I would counteract the operations of it, if possible" (24)--this gives us a really great insight into not only Eliza's wit and intelligence but also her passion.

"While, therefore, I receive your visits, and cultivate towards you sentiments of friendship and esteem, I would not have you consider me as confined to your society, or obligated to a future connection" (29).

"O, I have another plan in my head; a plan of necessity, which, you know, is the mother of invention" (34)

"I do not plan to give my hand to any man at present. I have but lately entered society; and wish, for awhile, to enjoy my freedom, in the participation of pleasures, suited to my age and sex" (50).

"Beware of the delusions of fancy!" (57) --foreshadowing much?

1 comment:

  1. We are lucky in this day and age to be able to seek "happy medium," as those before us were not. And yes, I do think Eliza's choice doomed her, as society often did. She really was too passionate for her own good, in a time where passion was crime. I can't imagine living in a time like that. Hell, I would have died too, probably.

    ReplyDelete